Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Oh Lord, Stuck in Lodi Again!

I just couldn’t resist using that phrase (from the song written in 1969 by John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival) as we remain parked in the same place where we landed on April 9. The first week here at the Lodi Grape Festival grounds was for the advance staff to prepare for the Western Area Rally for Escapees (WARE) April 9-14, followed by the rally itself April 15-19. Our ‘neighborhood’ was full.

IMG_8168

The day after the rally ended, almost everyone had left except us.

IMAG0640

IMAG0642

We’ve moved a few times, mainly to go visit the dump when other RVs weren’t moving around the grounds. And today the rain is back, feeding the grass which is growing high around us. But the grounds crew isn’t concerned over not being able to mow our site. They said they’ll catch it when we leave.

IMG_8395

We stayed on for two days after the WARE for me to get my RV Driving School instructor training. After that we decided to rest up for a couple of days, with the permission of the Lodi Grape Festival staff.

Then the Good Sam crew started to arrive. This is the same area as in the pic two frames above.

IMG_8392

The vendor coordinator, Earl, knocked on our door to ask if we were vendors arriving early for the NorCal Samboree. No, we’re not, but Earl said we could stay in the same spot because the people who parked here last year wouldn’t be here this year. (The man passed away and the woman doesn’t RV alone – how sad.)

George and Valerie weren't so lucky, however. They were asked to move because the rally staff would be parked in their area. George asked if he could do a seminar or two for the Good Sam rally. Yes, he could even do three or four and he could be a vendor in the marketplace, too!

When George asked if I would be interested in helping him with the seminars, I didn’t hesitate to say Yes. I used to give seminars in my previous life, along with teaching, training and mentoring, and it was a very satisfying endeavor. So Don and I decided to stay. It might also be possible to observe or give a lesson or two after the rally ends. I’d really like to observe a lesson with a 5th wheel, since it’s been 5 years since I owned one and I want to reinforce my knowledge.

So, here we are, Stuck in Lodi Again! It’s good that it’s not because of a problem, especially a mechanical one. Or a financial one like the down-and-out musician about whom Fogerty wrote. And it’s rather nice to be able to return to some of our favorite restaurants and make new friends with RVers moving into ‘our neighborhood.’

IMG_8390

4 comments:

  1. Picked at random on Hitchitch and just happened to get your blog. I didn't know there was a grape festival in Lodi, but I can imagine it is fun. Well I just wanted to say hello really and nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CCR sure made the town of Lodi famous alright. I end up humming that song everytime we drive down I-5 and see a sign on the highway for Lodi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. butterbean carpenterApril 27, 2012 at 4:22 PM

    Howdy Sharon & Big Don,

    Over the Hill mentioned the other day that Don had a 'little' problem , so we put him on the prayer list(USNavy,too) and so glad you are agonna get to teach RV Ladies how to keep
    it between the ditches; they CAN!!! Teach'em how to 'balance' the 5rs; MOST IMPORTANT!!!
    Well, I can think of lots of places better to be stuck in than California; Yuma, Tucson,
    Layfette, LA,(in the summer), Green Bay(in January) or just around Papa Nick Russell, anywhere(it'll rain)...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey,
    I would much rather be stuck in Lodi than Gila Bend, smile! At least you are stuck there for good things! Saw on Facebook that Craig and Liz got their new motorhome. Good for them. How does it feel to be "working" again??

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think, either here, on Facebook, or by email. I *love* comments!